Sunday 10 May 2015

Smoked Gouda and Swiss Chard Quiche - Mother's Day Brunch


It has become somewhat of a Mother's Day tradition for Dave and I to host a brunch for our mom's. I love planning a brunch menu - so many tasty and easy options. For mother's day I don't have to consider the tastes of any meat loving men, but only the tastes of my mom and mom-in-law, which happen to align very much with my own. This year I made a quiche, and replicated a recipe that I came up with for our family friend Ashli's baby shower. Ashli was a huge fan of the smoked gouda, egg and pastry combo, not really a huge surprise there though.


I haven't really given my mom full credit for her cooking abilities. I like to poke fun of her for her lack of passion in the kitchen - but I've realized that she does have a number of signature recipes that she puts her heart and soul into. One of them is Quiche Lorraine. She always makes the crust from scratch. This recipe largely uses the same ratios as the one she goes by, from her old Betty Crocker cookbook. Like my mom, I use the pastry recipe on the Tenderflake box and it has never failed me. There's no need to pre cook the curst for this one, a huge bonus in my opinion.



Smoked Gouda and Swiss Chard Quiche
Makes 2 Quiches, Serves about 10 (because just making one isn't worth it)

2 uncooked pie crusts
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
2 shallots, finely diced
1 bunch red swiss chard, rinsed, ends removed and chopped
2 cups grated smoked gouda
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups heavy/whipping cream
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
pepper



Prepare pie crust or remove it from packaging (is that what you do with store bought crusts? :). If following the Tenderflake recipe - I always make the full recipe even though it technically makes six shells. I usually form it into only five shells so I don't have to be too careful rolling them out. Freeze the extras for future pies. 


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add in swiss chard and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Let cool briefly.


In bottom of each pie shell: dived the smoked gouda and cooked swiss chard mixture. Combine the eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl, and pour half into each shell over the cheese and swiss chard. 


Bake both in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes then reduce oven to 325 and cook an additional 35-45 mins longer. If crust is browning too quick during cooking, cover with foil. Quiche is done when a knife inserted in middle comes out pretty much clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving. I cooked these the day before, stored in fridge and re heated in oven. 


We served the quiche along with thick cut bacon, beet and feta salad with balsamic honey dressing, hash-brown nests, and mini lemon poppyseed scones.




The Blueberry Rosemary Cordial I made here a few months ago, was mixed with Prosecco for a pretty cocktail.


... and white chocolate mouse with Rhubarb Raspberry Compote for dessert.


So happy that Dave's Oma could join us - here with my mom.


Hosting the brunch is really just a fantastic annual excuse for me to decorate the house with girly blossoms.


2 comments:

  1. ego battery It's a bit like a Chinese egg and leek pancake, but you'll have more ingredients and really want to try it. Can you write out the white chocolate mouse with Rhubarb Raspberry Compote making tutorial? My family will love this dessert.dead rabbit rda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmiol store has a wide selection of men's and women's jeans and is now offering a 50% discount, buy two get one free.Hot products cargo jeans and Ripped Jeans

    ReplyDelete